Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Wrestling Season!!!


Well my friends, wrestling season has begun.

I've been avid wrestling my whole high school career, and wrestled a few years before high school. I've had a fairly successful career, except in the post season. My sophomore year I got sick and lost in districts, and my junior year I got hurt mid season and couldn't compete in the post-season.

But this is a different year! I've trained hard to prepare for this season, and am in better shape than I've ever been. I'm one of the team captains, and our team looks great this year. We will probably be top 10 in the state when those rankings come out.

I am planning on wrestling in the 135 lb weight class. There is a preliminary weigh in at the beginning of the season to see where you could wrestle, and determine how low you could cut. I managed to qualify for 130, just in case I need to go down for whatever reason, but it wasn't fun (running 7-8 miles in the morning and 2.5 hours of hard wrestling, on maybe 1500 calories a day isnt what I would call fun). But thank goodness I only had to do that for a few days. Now the weigh in is over, and I can eat whatever I want, as long as I stay less that 135 pounds, which shouldnt be a problem. Its my natural weight anyway.

It looks like I'm poised to make a run. In order to qualify for the state tournament you need to place in the top four in the regional tournament. There are 4 regions in the state, and our region spans from Austin to San Antonio and to the Corpus Christi area. There are regional rankings that come out every so often, and on the Pre-Season Region 4 Rankings I am ranked 2nd in the region (Austin Moore is going 140 this year).

But there is a tournament this weekend here in Austin that will have alot of teams from the region, so it will be a great chance to field out the rest of the competition and maybe move into that number one spot!

I'll post results from meets and tournaments, and link to rankings and pictures as the season moves on. The goal is state, nothing else will suffice.

Wish me luck!

No comments: