Monday, November 24, 2008

My Thankgiving

Well we know that thanksgiving has come because of all the Christmas holiday decorations that line every department store across America.

It is a shame that Thanksgiving finds itself overshadowed by two fun and exciting holidays, one which you get showered in candy, and the other in presents. Thanksgiving is the one holiday that allows us to reflect upon the many blessings we have. What great a holiday that allows us to surround ourselves with company of those we love, feast together, and give thanks for what His Divine Hand of Providence has graced us with.

So allow me to express my thanks, for I have received so much, "that I have room not enough to receive it."

I am so thankful for my country that allows me to live how I want to live, and be what I want to be. No other place can compare with its various and majestic beauty. It truly is the promise land. And with it, I am so grateful and indebted to those in our armed services protecting our liberties and way of life. They are my heroes, and may God watch over and bless them and their families.

I have the best friends in the world, hands down. Casual friends, acquaintances, teachers, friends of the family, and friends for life, I'm so thankful for them all. So many are so close they are practically family. I cant tell yall how many times I'll be dealing with something, and someone will say just the right thing, or do just the right thing and make everything all right. So many of yall have touched my life in ways you dont even know, so thank you guys so much. Yall mean the world to me.

My family is the reason I am who I am today. I no that no matter what, they will always be there to help and support me. They have put up with all of my crap, and love me anyway. My Dad is my role model (in some areas, haha), my Mom is the greatest woman in the world, and my brothers and sister Hattie are the coolest people I know. I dont want to know what my life would be like without them. I love them all so much.

And most of all I am grateful for my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Through Him, I know I can achieve true happiness, and just the efforts of trying to live like he did brings more joy than I can know. I have felt his arms of redeeming love around me, and felt the comfort His words and teachings provide. I love Him, and will do my best to follow in his footsteps.

My friends, this thanksgiving, amongst all the hustle and bustle, try to find yourself a quite place and think of all the things we have to be thankful for. And while we give thanks for the blessings that we have, let us all try to bless the lives of those around us and give everyone a little more to be thankful for.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hope you don't mind but i added your post to a friend's blog at http://chocolateonmycranium.blogspot.com/2008/11/wordfull-wednesday-i-am-grateful.html for her wordfull wednesday writing on the topic of "i am grateful."

Montserrat said...

Haha, Athena's such a sneaky little devil. ☺

I'm glad she added your post though. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday - mostly because it isn't commercialized like the others have become. We celebrate it all month long with my children helping them to focus on their blessings and on giving to others through service - Thanks and Giving.

Your list really brings it down to the basics that we all need - freedom, family, friends, and the Lord.

Sea Star said...

What a great post. You did a great job listing a few of the basic things we should be grateful for.

Well written!

Ratliffs said...

We always made it a point to celebrate Thanksgiving in our home growing up, and to not start celebrating Christmas until after Thanksgiving was over. It is sad that a nation as blessed as ours seems to be more concerned with getting than giving. I hope that as my children get older I can teach them the importance of being thankful and of giving of themselves. Thanks for your post!

Kurt Harden said...

Neils - what a Thanksgiving though. Thanks for posting.