Sunday, November 23, 2008

Capital City Classic


This Saturday, I kicked off my wrestling season with my tournament of the year, The Capital City Classic, at the Delco Center here in Austin. Let me just say that it was a rather frustrating day. I had some pretty lousy luck.

It all started with the seeding. At lots of tournaments they only seed the top four guys, and then randomly assign everyone else. Well, since I was hurt and didn't wrestle in the post season last year, I was unseeded, and got a really bad draw.

First I wrestled a kid from Morton Ranch. He was the number 3 seed. I wrestled terribly. I found myself down 5-1 after a botched move in the first period, and everything else went down hill from there. I lost the match 11-4.

I was pissed off about my last match, so I took it out on a kid from Anderson here in Austin. I pinned him in 38 seconds.

The third kid I wrestled was from Cedar Park, which was of some importance because they are in our district. But I wrestled him fairly well, and fairly conservatively. I won 4-0.

This is where I got frustrated. Unfortunately I had to wrestle the same kid from Morton Ranch that I had wrestled the first time. The brackets were messed up and poorly made so there was a lot of stupid stuff that screwed over a lot of guys on our team. But thats life. I wreslted this kid alot better this time around, but he still beat me 6-2, thus eliminating me from the tournament (most tournaments are double elimination). He was the better wrestler that day, but we'll see what happens later on in the season.

This was the first tournament since sophmore year that I didnt place in, and hopefully it will be the last. Better to get my hard knocks in at the begining of the season instead of the end right?

Overall the team did really well. We placed 3rd overall, which was really good because some guys had some off days and we didnt feild our whole team (we are missing some key guys because of football play-offs). We had 3 guys place first, and our team preformed great. For complete results click HERE.

NEXT: 12/3-Anderson & Connally Duels-@ Anderson

Record: 2-2; 1 pin

2 comments:

Connie said...

We are proud of you! I think it is seating, not seeding.

Neils said...

nope its, seeding. your a number one seed, or a two seed, and the act of arranging all of the spots in the bracket is seeding.