Saturday, October 4, 2008

Fight Club & Freedom From Being The Consumer


Fight Club is a pretty wiggy movie, lets just get that out there for one. I dont want to spoil the film in case one of yall hasnt seen it. But one theme throughout the movie was anti-consumer culture. While the movie takes it to the extreme, I do think that is shows a point.


We as people have become a consumer culture. Our lives have become based around gain, mostly of stuff. We spend billions of dollars on all sorts of entertainment, on expensive clothing, on cool little gadgets, that we have been told time and time that we need, and we couldnt live without. What would you do without your ipod? How would we function with out our hours in front of a television screen? Our lives our lost when are computer or hard drive crashes. We have become possessed by our possessions.


This is where me and Fight Club come to a crossroads.


How do we become free?


A consumer culture is based on, duh, consumption. We take, take, take. Its all about I. I-phone, I-pod, I-mac, I, I ,I, I want this I want that. Naturally to reverse such we need the opposite. We dont need consumer, we need giver. We dont need I, we need you.


The answer is in each other. Where consumer is based around self, we must focus on others to reverse this established theory. Think of all the good that one could accomplish if instead of sitting in front of a computer or TV screen (the irony is sickening right :), they went outside and planted a tree or helped someone else out. Or what good a father could do, if instead of molding his life around work for money, molded his life around his family.


Christ was right. "He that seeketh his life shall loose it, he that looseth his life for my sake, shall find it" And if ye have done it unto the least of these, ye have done it unto me." Its service that liberates us. Its loosing us in someone else that allows us to shape who we really should become.


Its service that sets us free. Go loose yourself.


No comments: