Sunday, February 10, 2013

Three Years on The Path




Back L-R: Robert Duke, me, David Armstrong, Jence Kofoed. Front Andrew Petersen

Disclaimer: This is a more personal/spiritual/reflective post. Also there may be a lot of pics.

I remember vividly waking up on the floor of my friends dorm at BYU, not having slept very well the night before, fully aware that today was the first step of a series of more steps than I would like to know, all of which would have a profound impact on my life. It is the day I entered the Missionary Training Center, the day that I officially started my mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. A huge discrepancy of emotions welled within me as I showered, shaved, and suited up, knowing this would be my routine every day for the next two years. A dear group of friends met together to drive me, and warm goodbyes were said. Three years later, I'm still waiting to be reunited with a few of them, who have themselves volunteered to serve. Trying in vain to hold back the tears, I turned away from them and walked into the maze of orange buildings that makes of the complex. 
Donetsk, Ukraine

Tears flowed not only because I turned my back on my family, friends, and home for a long while. I was scared because I was turning my back on the path that I was on, and turning onto another whose route I did not know. I was turning my back on the person who I was, and was allowing The Lord to shape me into the person that he wanted me to be. Walking into the unknown that was the MTC was one of the hardest walks of my life, only to be rivaled by the walk onto the airplane to come back home. 

I will not deny that said path has been difficult at times.While I never doubted I was where I was supposed to be and doing what I needed to be doing, the weight of the burden and the tax of the trials wore me down both physically and spiritually. Yet the sorrows that came only enlarged my capacity to experience true eternal joy. God gave me tastes of what that joy would be, whose taste cannot be described, but must be experienced. Those memories inspire me to become a better disciple. 

Getting a drink in Makyevka, Ukraine.
My mission means more to me than I can probably understand at this time. Ukraine was a school, whose education, while expensive in terms of sacrifice, pain, and effort, is without invaluable. The people I met and the lessons I learned will stay with me for the entirety of my life. Gratitude as well as the twinge of guilt dwell in my soul as I realize that my mission may have meant more for me than the people I served. Yet said gratitude can only be expressed by continuing on the path that I set out on three years ago, the path of discipleship. 

The mission has altered my life in so many ways. It has changed the way I view things, and approach different issues and problems. It has altered the course of my study, and very possibly my professional path. Thanks to my mission I met a girl who I love very much. I met people who were complete strangers  and now are dear friends. My cup runneth over. 

Not a day has gone by where I haven't thought of my mission, and am so glad I went, and am grateful to be on the path I am on. I'll end with a scripture that has served as a comfort and guide for many years, and that I think holds true for all of us. 

On the path, with Adam Rallison

1st Nephi 17:13
"And I will also be your alight in the wilderness; and I will prepare the way before you, if it so be that ye shall keep my commandments; wherefore, inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall be led towards the promised land; and ye shall know that it is by me that ye are led."    












No comments: